Mar 12, 2014

BERRIFUL BREAKFAST: STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE RECIPE


Okay before I forget to mention it. I wanted to give a shout out to my folks. Having breakfast and riding bikes in the hood over the last couple weekends, I had the pleasure of running into some bloggy pals/readers and it was SO COOL. Its so funny how social media sometimes gives you a sense of friendship and kinship. I ran into qtrob at our favorite neighborhood restaurant Le Petit Marche (in Kirkwood).  has moved into its fabulous new space across the street. Even though the space is more modern it was able to still keep and translate its farmhouse chic charm. So yes, I recognized her brows instantly (she is a master brow sculptor:-)

And then I also quite literally ran into Maria Pinkleton. OMG. How did I not know about the goodness of your blog? I'm so stalking you now (in the best way possible:-). And can I just say, "ME TOO!!"

So yes, THE RECIPE
I'm super excited about the berries' being on sale (and in season). Easy to pop into munchkins lunch. Easy to cut up for a little H snack. Easy healthy snack for me. And then I had to go and ruin it with this YUMMINESS. I made this last weekend (before Lent), and it was so easy. I tried to mask the dessertness by turning it into breakfast and pairing it with a healthy meal. Cancels out the bad calories. yep. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.




Ingredients

Filling
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 large lemon)
1 1/2 tablespoons oat flour
1 pound medium strawberries, halved
1/2 cup light brown sugar

Topping

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup old fashioned style oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Directions
Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.

For the filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and flour until smooth. Add the strawberries, peaches and brown sugar. Gently toss until the fruit is coated. Pour the fruit mixture into the prepared pan.

For the topping: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt. Pulse until mixed. Add the butter. Pulse until the butter is the size of peas. Sprinkle the mixture over the filling and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top is light golden. Cool the crumble for 5 minutes. 


Spoon the warm crumble into bowls and serve.

Serving suggestion: eggs and bacon for breakfast or whipped cream, vanilla ice cream for dessert.


Any other suggestions for quick and easy strawberry treats?

xx,
Bunnie
facebook | twitter | pinterest | instagram | bloglovin | vimeo

adapted from this recipe

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LIFE AND TIMES: Bunnie Hilliard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger