Jun 1, 2011

happy belated.. again..

So you know me and my belated holiday posts.. so there are no suprises here:-) Not sure how these bloggers actually enjoy thier holiday and still squeeze in post. One day when i grow up I'm sure I'll be granted the secret keys to blogging success.. In the mean time, I thought I'd share a little of last weekend with you..

Better late than never is what they say!

I started out by reading a status update by a dear friend Tara who linked to an New York Times article on a little known fact about Memorial Day...  Its seems that:

The earliest and most remarkable Memorial Day took place on May 1, 1865. The beautiful port city of Charleston, S.C., lay in ruin and occupied by Union troops. Among the first soldiers to enter and march up Meeting Street singing liberation songs was the 21st United States Colored Infantry; their commander accepted the city’s official surrender.

The procession was led by 3,000 black schoolchildren carrying armloads of roses and singing the Union marching song “John Brown’s Body.” Several hundred black women followed with baskets of flowers, wreaths and crosses. Then came black men marching in cadence, followed by contingents of Union infantrymen. Within the cemetery enclosure a black children’s choir sang “We’ll Rally Around the Flag,” the “Star-Spangled Banner” and spirituals before a series of black ministers read from the Bible.

READ COMPLETE TIMES ARTICLE - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/30/opinion/30blight.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=opinion&adxnnlx=1306753261-S82yssCq3qMNxaXGta278g



So hubby is not only a former military brat but also a veteran of the Navy, which means he pulls these things out every chance he gets.. Its pretty funny (and cute) how he gets all worked up about getting the lawn ready to put out his flags..


In true Holiday weekend form, we broke out the grill... There's really nothing I love more than grilling out on the deck and having a couple of cool adult beverages (dontjudgeme:-)..


And he's becoming quite the skilled grillman (is that a word?) Thank You  Papa Russ.. He's stealing all of your secrets:-)


I wont tell you how yummy this was.. Lets just say finger lickin good...


Got the idea for this Watermelon Feta Salad while doing my weekly Publix run.. There was quite a long line at the sampling booth.. I snagged the recipe card right after:)


So we had a little spread, did a little power shopping, had breakfast at my favorite spot, and had a pretty relaxing weekend... Did I mention my birthday came and went in the haze? I turned 29  for the 5th time)...


The gardenias are blooming like crazy!! And munchkin and hubby have been making sure to bring them in by the handful.. My house smells heavenly! Unfortunately they dont last very long after they are cut..
Keep em' coming..

Hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LIFE AND TIMES: Bunnie Hilliard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger