Jul 15, 2013

5 LESSONS FOR KINDERGARTEN


That dainty little squirt in the middle belongs to me

I cant believe summer is almost over. In less than a month we will be dropping that little person off for her first day of kindergarten. I'm just hoping I can force myself to leave the parking lot before school lets out... So well anyway, we had a play date with one of her future classmates today, so she (and I) would know someone when school starts. I think I was more nervous than she was. They hit it off perfectly! And I was super proud. I tried my hardest to stand back and let her do her thing. A little harder than I'd like. I found myself encouraging her (strongly) to make sure she picked out what SHE liked instead of what the other little girl picked out (among other unwanted interupptions). It got me to thinking about all of the things I'm a little anxious about everyday as she gets ready to embark upon this new phase...

THESE 5 THINGS BEFORE YOU START KINDERGARTEN 

Be Brave. I'm not quite sure how to teach this. I struggle with it myself. But without me even asking the other day, you told me that sometimes you get nervous.  And that you just think of things that make you happy (like playing with your brother or painting pictures) - and then you feel brave. (Taking a page from your book)

Be Yourself. I'm trying my hardest not to live too vicariously through you. Please dont listen to me when I say stop being so silly, or singing so loudly that I can't think. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Do YOUR (not someone else's) thing. You are AWESOME.

Brown is Beautiful. Now this. So many places I could take this. From a minority and a female perspective we are bombarded with so many images that are a supposed reflection of beauty. In hindsight, I probably would have held off on The Disney Princess debacle for a bit longer.. But I digress...  The bottom line is this. Know that your chocolate yumminess is THE BEST. From the inside out - you are beautiful - and smart and funny - and THAT is beautiful. God made everyone different so they would all be special to Him. He loves you very much and so do I.

Just Do Your Best. 
When I read the words... it just seems so mediocre. And of course I want any and everything but mediocrity for your little (for now) life. But I will make a deal with you. Try hard. Practice. And give it your best shot. You will be surprised how far it will take you.

And if someone doesnt want to play with you, tell them to KICK ROCKS! 

___________________________________

My prayer every day is that she is strong and confident and believes in herself as much as I believe in her.

What would you add to this list? 

xx,
Bunnie

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LIFE AND TIMES: Bunnie Hilliard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger