Nov 19, 2013

FRENCH TOMATO SOUP {FAVORITE WEEKDAY LUNCH}



Its been so cold lately and I usually nibble on whatever I'm feeding little h for lunch, but on this particular day I wanted something warm and savory to take the chill off. So I literally typed in french tomato soup and then created my version of a french soup based on what I had in my fridge. Parle vous Francais? Did I tell you I've been taking French Language lessons? Some girlfriends and I got together with a private tutor and are preparing ourselves for a two month excursion to a villa on the French Riveria in the spring... Okay I made that part up. The language is beautiful and as soon as I can save up enough nickels it will be the next stamp on my passport..

In the mean time this will have to do...

So I should probably call this FRENCHISH TOMATO SOUP - since I alternated an item or two. At any rate, it was YUM and did the trick perfectly. Adding this to my recipe box for sure.
BUNNIES FRENCH "ISH" TOMATO (and chicken) SOUP
3–4 large ripe red tomatoes, cored,
   and coarsely chopped
2 medium yellow onions, peeled,
   and chopped
 2 russet potatoes, peeled,
   and quartered
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh parsley
2 tbsp. crème fraîche                                                                                                                handful of kalamata olives                                                                                                           some leftover roasted chicken                                                                                                       
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put tomatoes, onions, potatoes, garlic, thyme, parsley, 1 large pinch salt, and 4 cups water into a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
2.  Remove and discard thyme and parsley, You may purée soup in a blender, and pass soup through a sieve back into pot, but I did not because I wanted something chunky.
3. Whisk in crème fraîche (or a little heavy cream) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
adapted from this recipe
Photos are my own.
xx,
Bunnie

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LIFE AND TIMES: Bunnie Hilliard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger