Jun 22, 2011

the last two bananas...

My hubby only eats green bananas. which i think is pretty disgusting.. just so you know. at any rate, i buy a bunch of green bananas at the beginning of every week.. and inevitably by the end of the week i still have these two sad looking bananans..  i hate to throw away food, so i'd been freezing them and making smoothies..



lo and behold, i finally found the perfect recipe that only calls for two or three banans and it turns out perfect every time.. thanks to the folks over at thefreshloaf.com you really can throw this together in about 10 minutes or s o. and that's exactly what i did after making this deelish curry dish..

but i digress...


As I understand it, this recipe is from the 1997 revision of the Joy of Cooking.
Banana Bread


Makes 1 full-sized loaf or 2 small loaves
Preheat the oven to 350.
In one bowl, combine:

1/2 stick (4-5 tablespoons) butter, softened
2 eggs
2 or 3 very ripe bananas
2/3 cup sugar



Use a potato masher, fork, or spoon to squish the banana and mix the ingredients together. It is alright for there to be small (1 centimeter) chunks of banana in the batter, but you want most of the banana to be reduced to mush.


In another bowl, combine:

1 1/3 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until the ingredients are blended together.

If you like, stir in additional ingredients here, such as chopped walnuts or pecans, dried cherries or apricots, or chocolate chips. A handful (about a half a cup) is about right.

Pour the dough into greased baking pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Small loaves take around 30 minutes, a normal-sized loaf takes around 50 minutes.

Remove from the oven. This bread is great warm, but it is excellent cold too.

After they have cooled for 5 or 10 minutes the loaves can be removed from the pan to cool. Once they are cool they can be individually wrapped and frozen.
 

I think I put chocolate chips in EVERYTHING..



I'm so glad I read this recipe again. I realized I can cut this baby up and freeze. Now I dont have to figure out how to eat this whole thing without gaining ten pounds..

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to save my old nanners for Banana Nut Bread too, putting them in the freezer until the time came to make this delish bread. Now, I do the same....in the freezer they go, and then on the day that I would normally make the bread, I take them out, put 'em in the blender with some ice and water, and let it settle to room temp. Guess who loves this concoction? Rose bushes! I pour this down by the root of the Rose, and you will have the best fertilizer in the world! :) I'd rather have your Banana nut bread, but as you know, I am on this WONDERFUL diet! :)

Lesley said...

good grief that looks yummy. not so sure about the green bananas though. :/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LIFE AND TIMES: Bunnie Hilliard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger