Jul 2, 2014

HELLO JULY: FOURTH OF JULY MENU IDEAS | FAVE 01

Happy July!

Please forgive the hiatus. I've been doing some soul searching over the last couple of weeks and although writing this blog is really one of my most favorite things to do, I'm having to rejigger my thought process when it comes to coming to and writing in this space. As we all know, comparison is the thief of joy and I've really been letting that bad guy steal some of mine. There are many talented people in this world, and thankfully so. They inspire me and give me hope everyday. There will always be bigger and better blogs that I love to look at but cannot spend my days (and nights) comparing myself and trying to emulate (and subsequently feeling horrible about myself in the process). Don't get me wrong, as in anything in life I think there is always room for improvement, if thats what makes you happy and feel more whole. Which is why I started this blog in the first place. So if it doesn't fit into those two categories then I'm going to try really hard not devote energy to that.

I started this blog to write about what makes me happy and inspires me (and also a place to vent when I need to just vent or get something off my chest),  hopefully some of those things will resonate and bring a smile or some inspiration to someone else.  But the "numbers" and the "likes" and the popularity contest really just adds to the list of things that steal away from positive energy and spirit.

Now the comments.. I love:-)

So as for this month, I'm going to be reaching back into the vaults and bringing back some of my FAVE posts that I really enjoyed and gave me LIFE.

Starting with this… Although we usually begin to celebrate summer as soon as the kiddos are out of  school (even though technically its still spring). But nothing says summer like the fourth of July.  I'm really looking forward to spending time with family and H gets really outrageous with the fireworks display… You'll find me on my front porch with a root beer (and a fire extinguisher) in hand and something yummy like this:


Photos by me

Happy Monday and Hello July!

I'm super excited about the 4TH of July!!! Its always been a big deal in my family as its my moms birthday so we always celebrated big!  With sparklers and a birthday CAKE.  And there's always plenty of southern potato salad with mustard and pickle relish, brown sugared baked beans, and lemonade too!

H has already stocked up on fireworks and from the looks of it we will need sunscreen, sunglasses and a fire extinguisher on hand. Since I wont be with mom for the holiday this year, we plan to have a close friend or two over and I hope we get double the fireworks (at home and down town - root beer floats in tow)!!



Oh, on another note: remember that Google Reader is shutting down on Today! If you are following BH and Co. via the Reader, thankfully there are new options out there for you to keep up with your blogs. I personally like Bloglovin the best, but Feedly or The Old Reader, I hear are good too. You can always keep up with BH and Co. by e-mail by subscribing on the sidebar over to the right!

Hope you have something special planned for the holiday! I'm always excited about any reason to have good food, good friends, and let the good times roll :-)

Menu:
Blue Cheese Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Grilled Red Onion and Romaine 
Watermelon and Feta Salad with Mint
Blackberry and Buttermilk Sherbet
_____________

Blue Cheese Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Red Onion and Romaine

INGREDIENTS

1 Pound Ground Turkey 
1 tbsp Worchester Sauce
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 oz. crumbled blue cheese
1 medium red onion cut into thick slices
salt
olive oil
4 hamburger buns
1 cup fresh romaine mix


DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl combine turkey, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. On waxed paper shape turkey mixture into eight thin 4-inch-diameter patties. Place 1 tablespoon of the blue cheese into the centers of four of the patties. Top with the remaining four patties; pinch edges to seal.

Brush onion slices with olive oil; sprinkle with salt.


Place burgers and onion slices on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill 5 minutes per side or until done (160 degrees F to 165 degrees F). Brush cut sides of buns with olive oil. Grill, cut side down, the last minute of grilling.
Serve burgers on buns with grilled onion slices, lettuce, and remaining cheese.

_________________



Watermelon and Feta with Mint Salad

INGREDIENTS
1 large watermelon
4 oz feta cheese
salt and pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
6 whole mint sprigs

DIRECTIONS
Cut melon into bite sized squares, discarding seeds and set aside.  Loosely chop mint leaves and set aside as well. 
In a small bowl combine vinegar, salt, pepper and whisk until salt is dissolved.  Slowly whisk in olive oil.
In a large bowl combine melon, feta, dressing, and mint.  Gently toss until everything is coated and evenly mixed.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Garnish with mint sprigs.
_______________

Blackberry - Buttermilk Sherbet

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups blackberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp fresh lemon juice

DIRECTIONS
In a blender or food processor, whirl the blackberries (along with any juices from thawed frozen berries) until smooth. Pour the puree into a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much puree as possible; you should have about 1 cup puree. Discard the solids.

Add the sugar and whisk until dissolved. Whisk in the buttermilk and lemon juice.

Freeze the blackberry mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm enough to scoop, 4 to 6 hours. Makes about 1 1/2 pints; serves 6.

What yumminess do you have planned for the holiday? Do share:-)
xx,
Bunnie


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LIFE AND TIMES: Bunnie Hilliard All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger